Stronger together: about the Construction Industry Collective Voice
The Construction Industry Collective Voice (CICV) was formed in early March 2020 as the Construction Industry Coronavirus Forum, in response to the urgent COVID-19 threat to people and business.
With a focus firmly on collaborative action, the CICV brings together senior representatives from 28 professional bodies and also benefits from the input of more than 40 other organisations who contribute their expertise to the CICV’s 12 sub-groups. Its members operate the length and breadth of Scotland’s built environment supply chain.
Whether merchant/wholesaler, contractor, or multi-million-pound building firm, Scotland’s construction sector is fighting to keep its people, businesses and livelihoods intact and, in turn, the CICV is fighting for them.
By pooling expertise and knowledge, CICV represents the interests of Scotland’s diverse construction supply chain with one consistent voice. Priorities include lobbying the Scottish Government to influence policy and to push for positive action, and to give expert focus to important sector issues including commercial, employment, planning for the future, skills, and health and safety.
The CICV is chaired by SELECT, Scotland’s trade association for electrical contractors. Current members are:
- Association of Brickwork Contractors (ABC)
- Association for Consultancy and Engineering (ACE)
- British Constructional Steelwork Association (BCSA)
- Build Scotland
- Builders Merchants Federation (BMF)
- Building Engineering Services Association (BESA)
- Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists (CIAT)
- Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB)
- Chartered Institute of Plumbing and Heating Engineering (CIPHE)
- Chartered Institution of Civil Engineering Surveyors (CICES)
- Civil Engineering Contractors Association (CECA Scotland)
- Construction Plant-hire Association (CPA)
- Electrical Distributors’ Association (EDA)
- Federation of Master Builders (FMB)
- Finishes and Interiors Sector (FIS)
- Lift and Escalator Industry Association (LEIA)
- National Federation of Demolition Contractors (NFDC)
- National Federation of Roofing Contractors (NFRC)
- Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland (RIAS)
- Resource Management Association Scotland (RMAS)
- Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS)
- Scaffolding Association
- Scottish Building Federation (SBF)
- Scottish Plant Owners Association (SPOA)
- Single Ply Roofing Association (SPRA)
- Stone Federation (GB)
Blueprint Media is part of the CICV communications sub-group.
A substantial number of media news releases have been drafted and distributed as widely as possible because of Covid-19’s impact on the entire Scottish construction sector.
The CICV Forum has offered guidance on everything from the job furlough schemes, to travel, and health and safety best practice. A series of webinars were successful too.
Further stories news releases represented lobbying efforts and news of new members joining the forum.
Here’s a snippet of CICV stories:
- Formation of group (March 2020)
- Member survey on impact (April 2020)
- Series of webinars to help construction sector (Sept 2020)
- Report published with Fraser of Allander Institute about improvements (Feb 2020)
- Rising prices are a result of global events and not profiteering (May 2022)
- Successful launch of Green Home Festival (August 2022)
- CICV responds to the Construction Accord (October 2022)
“The ongoing support of the Blueprint team has been invaluable during the pandemic. During a challenging time of ever-changing news and late-breaking updates, they have been responsive, flexible, and supremely professional, delivering quickly, clearly, and accurately time after time. We couldn’t have done it without them.”
Chair, Communications Sub-Group, CICV Forum, and Director of Memberships and Communications at SELECT